Now that the snow has melted it’s time to get outside. Assess your home for any winter weather damage or wear. The Monk brothers have put together a list of easy repairs, improvements, and planning considerations for your spring home maintenance.
Spring Home Maintenance Tips
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed at least 6 inches away from your house to help prevent mildew and peeling paint.
- If you have a deck that needs sealing, you’ll need to wait until after the oak tree pollen is done falling and the morning dew has stopped. Schedule your work after Memorial Day.
- Install screens on your gutters. Leaky gutters are a big source of peeling paint and rotten trim.
- Replacement windows are great for improving energy efficiency. However, if new windows are out of your budget, new storm windows will offer you protection from extreme temperatures.
- Make sure your leaders are running away from the house, and down a hill. Bad placement can flood your basement.
- If you have plantings around your house, schedule your painting job for the early spring or late fall. Painters need to lay down tarps which can damage budding plants.
- Start planning your summer projects in early spring. If you get on a contractor’s schedule now, you can get started right away. Or, you’ll be able to schedule work when you are away on vacation, or when it’s most convenient for you.
- Splurge on materials. Always use top of the line, high-quality products. Your labor costs will stay the same. We paint with Duration from Sherwin-Williams and Aura from Benjamin-Moore.
- If you are finding it difficult picking a paint color, drive around your neighborhood. Looking at other houses is the best way to choose a paint color. People are usually flattered if you knock and ask them their house colors.
- Replace rotted wood with composite trim so that it will never rot again.
We can help with your home maintenance projects! Call 973-333-4719 or book online to schedule a free estimate with Monk’s. Your Estimator will provide suggestions. He or she will also provide a detailed, written estimate covering projects that Monk’s can take off your to-do list!